Friday, October 19, 2007

DAY 14: Day off in Albany

I’m glad I’m taking this day off from riding - a chance to recover from the efforts and hopefully rejuvenate.
After a quick dash to Albany Printers to collect my business cards for handing out to contacts to give details of my website / e-mail, and hopefully raise more money for WaterAid) and a quick breakfast, Dan, Dave, Sian and I drove off to nearby Albany Primary School for the show.
At 0930 after we had set up the library in preparation, around 120 youngsters trooped into the library and sat cross-legged in expectation. Dan led off and explained to the kids how they could do whatever they want with their lives; that they should not worry if what they do doesn’t appear to fit in with what is ‘expected’ or to peer pressure, and confirmed that everyone is different and we aren’t expected to all do things in the same way. It was pretty inspirational and motivating stuff and the children loved it. The idea I think is to unleash potential and to avoid stifling youngster’s enthusiasm as often happens with some adult attitudes.
The show developed into Dave’s cartoon-drawing lesson (he is a professional cartoonist) and the concept of “everything you draw or write (and do) is right, and nothing is wrong” further developed. A simple lesson in life but not often taught it seems to me - but Dan and Dave aim to correct that with an impressive series of bookings lying ahead including a tour of New Zealand, Japan and Wales. Their website is www.chocmint.com - have a look!
the guys left for the airport at lunchtime and I did some stuff on the computer before heading into town for shopping - there aren’t too many shops ahead for the next few days so I’ve stocked up on food. Still working on carrying dense foods that where possible need bulking up with water i.e. less weight to carry. I’m currently sat in D & P’s lounge admiring the view across Albany Bay (see pic on right).
I mentioned yesterday that Dave currently lives in Glossop, Derbyshire, and is heading back there today - a coincidence that I used to live there for several years and my son Ashley still does. Dave used to live ion Buxton where another of my sons Karl still lives, AND he used to hjave a red Scirocco like mine. He comes and goes to Australia as Dan and he develop the business.
Wind is blowing up at the moment, hope it doesn’t blow up into a storm, and hope it’s from the west too as I’m heading east. It's forecast strongish winds tomorrow from W /SW I've just heard on TV so that's not too bad for me - possible rain in afternoon though.

No comments: