Wednesday, October 10, 2007

DAY 5: Dunsborough to Margaret River

57 km @ 13.3 km / hr

heavy rain - dry - heavy rain - dry etc.

Hills like a roller coaster!


This 'shorter' day turned out to be quite tough for the above reasons. For most of the day I wore my yellow Sprayway Goretex jacket, and I must say it's a great garment. I bought in 8 years ago for 200 pounds on a whim and have hardly worn it - it's coming into it's own now. It also compresses down very small. I was soaked from the middle down though after 2 km and I had a cafe breakfast again, before hitting the hills.

The (Augusta) road was not too busy thankfully, but there was little verge. All drivers were on best behaviour though and I even got a few friendly toots. It wasn't a 'scenery' day really due to the dark skies, but was nevertheless pleasant, winding through SW Australia's wine region, with posh-looking vineyard after vineyard. The rural scenery is quite idyllic, unlike much of dry Oz here it is verdant, cows, sheep and deer grazing in tree-fringed meadows.

I quickly found the caravan park in MR and got set up by 1330. Off to the library to hpefully use the internet, but here it was a whopping $2.50 / 15 mins, and no photo uploading. Exit stage left to the internet caff, still $6 / hr and I'm still here after nearly 2 hours.

I'm cooking pasta, spicy tomato sauce, onion and zuchini for dinner by the tent, and early night agian.

No comments: