Friday, October 12, 2007

DAY 7: Bush camp to Nannup

44km @ 13.7 km/hr
After my traumatic night I awoke at 0630 and got packing right away - not wanting to hang around to be available for more unagreed blood donations. Soon after I got started the gently rolling terrain turned a bit nastier with steeper drops and climbs - mostly 'jump-ups' (where the road drops to cross a river and then climbs steeply up again). Some of these were up to 1 km in length and some must have been 20% slope.
I was feeling a little empty due to having had no breakfast but asured myself that Nannup - and a huge breakfast - was not far away. Well, the hills became more frequent and steeper and it seemed to be taking ages - which it was. Down to 13.5 km/hr average again. There were only about 3 houses between the bush camp and Nannup, so it really is remote, more so than anywhere in Scotland.
Today was nice and sunny but pretty hot too, and I was relieved to roll into, well, labour up a last 2 km hill to, Nannup. I was pretty tired and went straight to one of about 6 cafes in town (althougfh it is only a small place). Nannup is real cosy 'old' Australia. None of your modern town centre developments here, it's old and charming. I plonked down at the cafe and ordered a mega-breakfast to put back the 1000 calorie deficit from this mornings efforts. I got chatting to a lawyer and his wife from Perth who were here for a few days break - I am struck by how friendly the Australians are - when you meet someone new they invariably ask what I am doing and where I'm going, and they are very easy conversationalists. That's nice when travelling alone, in fact I reckon you get more of this when alone, a couple may not appear to be quite as accessible.
TH caravan park is just opposite and looks very cosy - hopefully a good sleep tonight.
It was only noon so I could catch up on housekeeping - throwing some stuff away that I did not need; laundry (unfortunately I put soap powder in the drier, put the money in and switched it on before I recognised it's true identity and had to go and beg a wet cloth to clean it up); bought half a bottle of wine for tonight (my first in Oz this time) and got to the Telecentre to type this up. I had in fact typed most of yesterdays post up in the tent last night so just had to upload from the SD card in the PDA.
I have photos to post but for some reason Blogger is not allowing me to upload grrr!

2 comments: said...

Hey david, just stumbled across ur blog. I live in Perth & have done a bit of cycle touring in the sw. Did albany perth 2 yrs ago. For mossie bites get some "stingoes" from chemists, gets rid of the itch quick.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
Steve and I enjoyed chatting with you over breakfast in Nannuyp. We are back to reality in Perth now, but you have inspired Steve to get fit (or at least talk about getting fit). We have told all our friends about your trip, and we will all be following your progress.
Good luck.
Sue and Steve