Monday, January 14, 2008

DAY 99: Day 2 off in Canberra

Sat 12th January 2008
32 km
Distance to date 6266 km (3916 miles)
Very warm & sunny

Cycled back into the city after breakfast for more sightseeing, and made a better job of finding my way in today. I spent most of the morning in the National Museum just browsing around, and I had an enjoyable lunch in the very nice museum eaterie, including some Rocky Road to die for.
I found my way along the cycle tracks to the Botanic Gardens - nice but not as interesting as Adelaide or Melbourne. I’ll return later and have a better look if it’s not so hot. Today is a day to avoid the sun wherever possible.
I spent some time with Patrick in the evening going over best routes through to Sydney and Brisbane - a lot of options but I’m better informed now. P cooked a great meal tonight - I really have been spoilt here, and it’s been very enjoyable. Patrick and Christine are great hosts, and very knowledgeable about Canberra and Australia, and I’ve learnt a lot about the place.
We had about 5mm of rain in the evening, but it’s not enoungh really.

Lake Burley-Griffin Cycle path
Chinese Embassy - amazing building
Old Parliament House (also houses Portrait Gallery)

OPH again
Captain Cook Memorial by the Lake
The Carillon - a granite structure housing 55 bells, and played by guest artistes. It was playing both days I was around that area - beautiful. It was a gift from the British Government to Canberra.

Carillon again

No comments: